The Shirley-Eustis House Association, owner of the National Historic Landmark Shirley-Eustis house and carriage house in Boston, Massachusetts, is pleased to announce its 2013 centennial.
One hundred years ago, in 1913, William Sumner Appleton, with the passionate support of Dwight Mortimer Prouty, Edith Andrews, Lillie B. Titus, E. Bigelow Prouty, Huybertie Hamlin, Henry Davis Sleeper, Charles Read, and Oliver Greene, purchased and rescued the Shirley-Eustis House mansion from demolition. The prudence and foresight of these nine preservationists paved the way for the subsequent restoration of the house and grounds - now one of Boston’s premier historic house museums.
"The SEHA, as the association is commonly known, has benefitted greatly from the generosity and steadfast beliefs of these early pioneers of preservation," said Patricia Violette, Executive Director. "We are pleased to be able to highlight and reflect upon all of the remarkable endeavors these pioneers put forth during this anniversary year."
The Association board recently commemorated the first association meeting on January 11, 1913 at the Congregational Library in Boston. The Association is also making preparations for two new exhibits to be unveiled in 2013 - "Simply An Impersonal Property: Investigating the Lives & Community of The Shirley Place Residents, 1870-1915," and furnishing the "Lafayette Bed Chamber." (The Marquis de Lafayette stayed at the Shirley-Eustis House during his triumphant tour of the United States in 1824). Many other events will follow during the course of the year.
For more information about Shirley Place, its architecture, residents, gardens and collections, visit www.shirleyeustishouse.org, call 617-442-2275 or become a fan on our Facebook page to stay connected to our events and announcements.
The Shirley-Eustis House, 33 Shirley Street, Roxbury, MA, built in 1747 for Royal Governor William Shirley, was once a sprawling estate of 33 acres. It continues to sit majestically in Roxbury surrounded by beautiful gardens and historic fruit orchards and remains the most imposing and best preserved of the four standing colonial governors’ homes in the United States.