Pride celebration will bring thousands to neighborhood by Sue O’Connell
MySouthEnd.com ContributorThursday Jun 7, 2012 Look for "Tow Zone No Stopping Parade Saturday" signs
Boston LGBT Pride celebrations are in full swing, and Saturday’s Parade and block party promises to bring thousands to the South End. The Parade kicks off at noon from Copley Square and winds through the South End (see map below). The annual Chandler Street Dance & Block Party , benefiting AIDS Action Committee, kicks off at 1 p.m. Presented by Budweiser, in conjunction with the Fritz and the Chandler Inn, this year’s Block Party will feature DJ Darrin Friedman (Machine Fridays) and Producer / DJ JST (28 Degrees). See page 5 for more Pride listings.
Street closing notices.
Saturday, June 9
This year, setup will be located on Boylston Street between Copley Square and Massachusetts Avenue and the parade will start in the area where Clarendon Street and Boylston Streets meet. The route of the parade takes its marchers from Boston’s Back Bay through the South End, up to the Boston Common, continues past the State House and will finish at City Hall Plaza where the festival will be held.
The Gay Pride Parade will kick off on Saturday at noon.
Streets along the route will be closed to vehicular traffic as the estimated 35,000 marchers pass through and will remain closed until maintenance crews clean-up the area.
Below is a partial list of street closings
• Boylston Street, both sides, from Dalton to Tremont Street
• Dartmouth Street & Exeter Street, both sides from Newbury to St. James Avenue
• Clarendon Street, both sides Newbury to Tremont Street
• Tremont Street, both sides from Union Part to East Berkeley Street
• Berkeley Street, both sides from Tremont to Newbury street
• Also on Saturday, June 9, is the Chandler Street Dance, requiring the closing of Chandler Street, from Berkeley to Arlington Streets, from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Drivers or residents with questions or comments are urged to call the Boston Transportation Department Hotline at #617-635-4-BTD. This information is subject to change.